Together again! Our Down East Family Early Learning Center children and staff are moving back to the awe-inspiring, newly renovated Bryant E. Moore Community Center! We will officially begin programming on Tuesday, September 2nd. We have so much to look forward to and so much to be thankful for.
As we prepare for our final move back, we say goodbye to some wonderful people and places that have opened their doors and hearts to us. For almost 14 months, we have claimed residence for our Early Learning Center programs at The United Baptist Church, The Emmanuel Baptist Church, The Family Bible Church, and The Universalist Unitarian Church, all of which are located in Ellsworth. The church officials and their congregation have been incredibly supportive of our staff, children and families. Whenever we needed anything, our friends at the churches were willing and happy to help us any way they could.
It is no small task to house infants, toddlers, early preschool , preschool, and afterschool children for 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week. Without the churches love and support for our programs, we would have not been able to continue the important work and care we give. Our YMCA is indebted to their kindness Thank you for making us feel right at home.
Our deepest gratitude is shared with the City of Ellsworth who believed in the vision of a community center. Our Early Learning Center programs and Afterschool programs are honored to be a part of this special collaboration with Friends in Action as well as other agencies that will utilize the facility.
Most importantly, I want to thank the teachers of the Down East Family YMCA Early Learning Center programs. From the moment they began packing for the move out of the Moore Community Center to the moment they began packing to move back in, their tireless efforts of making creative, exciting and meaningful learning environments has shown tremendous dedication to the work they do and the difference they make in the lives of children and families. The teachers have been the true heroes during this re-location. Our programs could not have gone on if it wasn’t for the teachers and their belief in the outcome. I am happy to have all of the teachers returning with us as well as a few new faces that have joined our incredible team.
Some of the exciting new additions and features of our Early Learning Center programs and Afterschool programs will be:
- A classroom for Early Toddlers ages 12 months-18 months.
- An indoor play space.
- A third preschool classroom.
- A music program for toddlers-preschool children.
- NEW visions of our Afterschool program “CONNECT” under the leadership of Afterschool Director, Jim Tracy. The programs will focus on making positive connections with each other and our community.
Soon to come will be:
- The reinstatement of our food program, slated for October.
- A collaborative effort with Child Development Services to provide a special purpose classroom for children with individual needs.
- A newly renovated gymnasium for physical education and activity.
- A conference room for meetings and workshops.
- A beautiful auditorium which seats 100 people (think about all of the children’s concerts we are going to have!)
It is going to be an exciting time for all of us! I can’t wait to share more news of what the Early Learning Center programs, staff and children will be dreaming up in the years to come. If you have any ideas, or would like to share your talents with us, please do not hesitate to contact me. It’s amazing what working together can bring!
Director of Childcare Services